Saturday, August 18, 2007

The Pact - Jodi Picoult

Wow

This book is enchantingly addictive. It is about a gripping yet debilitating suicidal depression, experienced by a wealthy, educated, creative, successful, beautiful and loved teenager. I think this is an important topic, especially in a time where depression, especially in teenagers, is just reaching the surface of things to talk about.


Written ten years ago, this book explores the issues why Emily is depressed - nobody noticed. How could she want to die when her life is blossoming before her? She is a talented painter. She has a wonderful boyfriend and wealthy parents. Maybe that is not the secret to true happiness...


Yet as we read through this chilling tale devoted to the goings-on of a teenager's mind, we discover the reasons why Emily wanted to die.


"The Pact" is about Emily, a suicidal girl, who talks her loving boyfriend, Chris, into being there as she ends her life. Chris is then accused of murdering Emily. A rivetting court case ensues. I sat, clenching my book and my teeth, waiting to read the final verdict - I got so desperate, I skipped to the end of the page!


If you want to read a page-turner that is about love, lust, sex (so much sex is in this book!), suicide, teenagers, depression, legal mumbo-jumbo - this book is for you. I highly recommend it. Better than "Nineteen Minutes."


****1/2


PS Now that I know Picoult's formula, maybe I should try my hand at some teen-inspired topical thrillers.

No comments: