Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Ladder 49

I really like John Travolta and Jaquin Pheonix. Together, they have great onscreen charisma. They work well together, and I think that it is because of this that I enjoyed this movie.


The ten years of Jack's (Pheonix) development as a firefighter is followed in 'Ladder 49.' Told in a 'backflash' mode, we learn about how Jack began as a firefighter, and at the end we learn how his career ends. I became engrossed in Jack's story, preferring the focus on the relationships he built with people rather than his heroics. I would have enjoyed more development in the relationship between Jack and his boss (Travolta). When we first meet Travolta's character, he seems quite eccentric, but that characterisation doesn't follow through in the film, and I am still wondering why. I enjoyed the development of the relationships with his workmates, as well as Linda, his wife.


Time span is confusing in this film, as backflashes do create a bit of confusion at times. There are no subtitles to tell us how many years have passed, but this is not a negative issue, as it makes the viewer think about what they are watching.


I thought the actors played their roles realistically, as I imagine that firefighters who work so close to eachother have moments of joy and disappointment to share. I thought the moments of grief were played very well; I had tears on several occasions throughout the viewing.


The settings of fire were very realistic. Sound effects were used generously to give the impression of hot fire. Makeup was used effectively to show burned skin.


This film forces us to think about the people who give of themselves so they can save others. Jack's motif of 'saving people' is a reminder that his goal is to save people at the expense of himself. I had trouble coming to terms with the fact that he was also sacrificing his family to save other people.


At the end of the film I found myself wondering why people put themselves in danger to save the lives of others. And it is in thinking that that I have even more respect for the men and women who would put themselves forward in order to save me; I am for ever grateful.


***1/2



No comments: