Sunday, March 2, 2008

Butterfly Effect

I have seen this one several times, but each time I find it a chilling viewing. From the ghastly letterbox bombing to the harrowing final 'umbilical' scene, I love the idea that the things we do can impact so greatly on others. Sure, it's all a fantasy... or is it?


When did he have the best life? Was he right to 'play God' to try to fix other people's lives? This film makes me contemplate the times in my life that I have considered to be crossroads, and how, by choosing a different path, I could've had a different life. For example, if I had broken up with Monte that day, many many years ago, where would I be now? Maybe not right here! And if I had got my belly button pierced when my friend took me to the 'salon' would I have been alluring enough to get pregnant with Georgia? What if I didn't get pregnant when I did? What child would I have?


Woa! Go on a tangent why don't ya!?


The Butterfly Effect suggests that any choice you make can impact on the lives an futures of other people. In the film, Ashton Kutcher plays a pleasant lad who gets confused regularly. We learn that these 'blackouts' are moments when his self is crossing himself in moments of time; he comes back to his past to try to fix things. Athough he fixes the problem at hand, usually, through his time interference, he actually creates a problem much worse - even waking one day to find he has no arms!


Kutcher is a convincing lead, although not much is really required to be convincing. No problems are really solved, as proved by the ending. Or, at least, he doesn't solve his problems, rather, he excapes from them!


The settings are interesting because, depending on the past that he is altered, the setting will be slightly different. Similarly with characterisation. For example, if the heroine is a dropkick who commits suicide in one 'life,' then when her past has been altered, she becomes a prom queen sophomore. Nonetheless, the same character is also a prostitute among other characters throughout the film. Thus the actors who play supporting roles are required to extend their talents more than Kutcher alone.


The idea of the film is interesting, and I have already waffled on about my interest in the issue. The film is chilling at times, and I would also like to investigate other aspects of the issue, for example, beginning with children who were basically 'good' and 'normal,' for a start.


I recommend this film but it is not everybody's 'cuppa tea.' ***



No comments: