Tuesday, May 22, 2007

I finished "Notes on a Scandal" by Zoe Heller

I finished the book. It was such a quick read. It only took me a few days. I enjoyed it. I think it is more about the character Barbara than the affair between Sheba and her student. How gross - an affair with a child. I can't fathom why or how. Maybe that is why I chose to concentrate on Barbara instead.

Barbara is insecure yet self righteous. She is old, staid and quite weird. She is obsessive, possessive and emotionally attached to her cat. She is lonely because she is not such a good friend. She is intriguing. I am not sure if she is a good person or not. I don't really like her. I sort of liked her...she's odd.

I recommend this read. It is different and enjoyable yet irksome. ***1/2

Some questions:
  1. Do you admire Barbara? What are her good qualities?
  2. Sheba is beautiful and lovely. Why does she choose to have an affair with Connolly?
  3. Can we justify and forgive Sheba for her love for Connolly?
  4. Is Barbara's cat, Portia, a metaphor for her relationship with Sheba?
  5. What do you think happens to Sheba at the end of the novel?

1 comment:

Chell said...

Hi Rebecca, I've reviewed this as a movie. In the movie Barbara is creepy. I agree that the story is more about the relationship between Barbara and Sheba rather than Sheba and her student. I also agree that it is revolting that someone especially a teacher could become interested in a teenage boy.