Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Notes on a Scandal - novel

I picked this novel because I want to see the film and novels are always better. I have not read very much but I am already so engrossed in the text! It is written from the point of view of Barbara, a staid old maid who teaches at St George, where Sheba, a beautiful woman comes to work. Barbara has an unhealthy obsession with Sheba. Sheba has an inappropriate relationship with a young student. The 'notes' in this book are actually Barbara's account. I love the story. I feel that I can relate to the school setting and the relationships between staff members. It is not uncommon for teachers to marry their ex-students. I know a few who have. The relationships don't last though. Not often anyway. I can relate to the descriptions of students and classes and the school as a whole.

This novel is fascinating and I hate to put it down. It is not a very easy read because Barbara uses pretentious huge long words that I don't understand. I can't be bothered reading with my dictionary on hand, although Monte (DH) says I should. I might go back and highlight the big words to get a better understanding - but the point of the big words is to show how self-important Barbara is, I reckon.

Anyway, I recommend this novel. It is great (so far). ****

1 comment:

Emma said...

Hi There
Finally have signed up.
I picked Anonymous lawyer as was something different. I have mixed views.

While it seemed to drag a little for me, having had exposure to the legal industry it also made me laugh and post many a wry smile whilst reading about the "traits quiks and characteristics" of the legal industry that are still prevalent and alive in todays working environment.

Is a little scary!