Sunday, July 29, 2007

In the Woods - Tana French

I finished the novel and actually said, "what the?" as I shut it. I actually looked through the back of the book to see if I was missing the last page! I'm struggling to add to my previous review, and I am struggling to think of discussion questions for this book. But I'll give it a go:

  1. In what ways do you admire Adam/Rob? What are the strengths of his character? (eg I thought him a hunk at first [until I learned more about his personality!]
  2. How far is the setting of the woods integral to the plot? (eg could it have been as effective a story if it were set at the beach?)
  3. What does the rain represent in the novel? We see it a lot - what purpose does it serve? Foreshadowing, tragedy, that something is about to be solved, that Rob is in trouble etc?
  4. Does Rob treat Cassie poorly, or does she take advantage of him?
  5. Do you think that a male and female can ever be 'just good friends?'
  6. What is it that really drives Rob mad? The woods, lack of sleep, unsolved mysteries, memories, lust for Cassie, his past etc?
  7. What is the pendant/charm that is found at the end, and what purpose does its placement/existence serve?
  8. Are you satisfied with the ending? Why? Why not?

No comments: